Wilco 425th District Judge Race:Lambeth vs. Silverstone

We have been following the race for District Judge of the 425th court in Wiliamson County. We obtained video from a recent debate between Challenger Betsy Lambeth and Incumbent Mark Silverstone.

This race is heating up and we will keep you informed as this race develops. For now, check out the videos below.

Audio of Incumbent Judge Mark Silverstone

Challenger Betsy Lambeth

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 2/26/2012 5:57 PM Wilco Voter wrote:
    That guy is seriously a judge? Sounds like he has no business on the bench. Scary. But seeing the current DA (Bradley) and former DA now District Judge (Anderson), it seems par for the course. We need a house cleaning.
  • 2/26/2012 6:34 PM Larry Schuler wrote:
    Very simple: VOTE NO INCUMBENTS! in Williamson County - in this coming election.
    1. 2/27/2012 10:40 AM Mike from R R wrote:
      What about John Bradley ? We can't afford this type . Clean some house .
  • 2/26/2012 8:21 PM Round Rock Tx wrote:
    That audio is concerning.
  • 2/26/2012 9:13 PM Wilco voter wrote:
    I am disgusted that this group would post these clips as basis for judgment in this race. Ms. Lambeth will NEVER have the experience, integrity, intelligence, or moral standards to come close to competing with Judge Silverstone. These clips were taken out of context should not hold any merit with voters that want to make an EDUCATED vote. I welcome anyone to come watch this extremely efficient court in action. They are the hardest working and most dependable court in our county. Talk to anyone who has ever met him and his staff and you will find out that he is not part of the good ole boy system and is a judge for all the RIGHT reasons. Ms. Lambeth is best friends with Mike Davis as evidenced by her Facebook page so who is the "good ole boy"? Ohh it also appears Holly Hanson is in her camp as well...thoughts to ponder.
    1. 2/27/2012 9:31 AM Demanding Accountability wrote:
      Isn't that a bit like blaming the scale for saying you're fat?

Tell you what - I don't know anything about either of these candidates, but it sounds like you do. Please post proof that he's awesome and she's terrible, as you've asserted that you know these things to be true. With appreciation -
      1. 2/27/2012 10:06 AM Wilco Voter wrote:
        The proof is in the statistics. Judge Silverstone has handled more family law cases in the last five years than she has in her entire career. Talk to her fellow attorneys about her lack of work ethic. Everyone gets respect and consideration with this court and judge. The mere fact that she is making false statements about the court and telling innocent citizens that she is the only Republican running just to get them to put a sign in their yard shows lack of personal integrity. Do your research before you form an opinion.
        1. 2/27/2012 11:20 AM Friends From Berry Creek wrote:
          Betsy dropped by my house and asked for my vote. She did share that she was challenging an incumbent. I'm voting for her because she asked for my vote, (In bad weather). She also asked if she could put up a sign and We proudly said"YES". She made no false statements, just shared a little about her life and asked for our votes. Our vote is for Betsy!
          1. 2/27/2012 12:44 PM Seriously wrote:
            Why in world would you vote for one person without even talking with the person already doing the job? Also, take note that while you were having this friendly chat this court was hearing cases and serving the citizens of Williamson County. If you want to foolishly base your opinion on one conversation with a smooth talking lawyer then go right ahead.
            1. 2/27/2012 5:58 PM Friends From Berry Creek wrote:
              I did approach Judge Silverstone at a GARW event and introduce myself. I spoke with him for a few minutes. During that time he asked my name three different times. I walked away with the feeling that he did not care enough to learn my name. Now, I wonder if it's just some memory problems based on all of these blogs.
    2. 2/27/2012 11:48 PM Louis Z. wrote:
      Sorry, Wilco Voter, but I disagree 100% with your characterization of Judge Silverstone's court as "extremely efficient." His morning docket almost always ran over into the lunch hour, meaning attorneys would have to waste an entire morning waiting for their case to be heard. The delays in his court are unbearable, and extremely inefficient.
  • 2/26/2012 10:38 PM Round Rock MOM wrote:
    I was in his court not to long ago and I was stunned at how slow he responded to attorneys and the amount of time it took for him to speak. They would ask him a question and it would take him a minute or two to respond. He was not thinking, he was just confused. I truly believe that something is wrong with him. Or he is just overwhelmed with the work! The lady that is running for his seat was in court as well and she was really with it. My only regret was that she was not my attorney. Sit in his court for a day you will understand the problem.
    1. 2/27/2012 9:31 AM Wilco Voter wrote:
      So I take it you want a judge who speaks without thinking first and is a politician and spews fancy rhetoric rather than researching the law? This Judge is exactly what our fore fathers intended when they created our justice system. He is caring, kind and unbiased. Do not pass judgment on matters you have no knowledge of. This court handles thousands of family law matters a year and the number of decisions this VERY competent judge has to make in one day is more than the average person makes in a decade. There is no possible way Lambeth can handle it when she cannot even handle her own small caseload.
      1. 2/27/2012 9:50 AM Round Rock MOM wrote:
        When you see his staff "Coaching" him on what to say or do and attorneys reminding him of what was "Just" said, you have a problem. There is something wrong with this Judge.
        1. 2/27/2012 11:45 AM Wilco Voter wrote:
          You obviously have not been in court proceedings before and lack knowledge about what takes place. Your perception of the events are skewed. Please take the time to do more research before you vote.
  • 2/26/2012 10:47 PM Mike From Georgetown wrote:
    Based on this recording he should be removed from office today. Something is wrong with him!
  • 2/26/2012 10:50 PM Darby from Taylor wrote:
    GREAT, another Judge with another problem! When will it stop?
  • 2/27/2012 10:17 AM Concerned Attorney wrote:
    This is a recording of the Williamson County Bar Association meeting. This audio does not give you a clear picture of what occurred. I wished there had been a video of the event. I was embarrassed and horrified at what Judge Silverstone did during the event. What the audio cannot show you is that he was reading from his prepared written speech. He could not read his own words. I was heart broken that he could not pronounce simple words and follow his own written speech. NO, he was not drinking at the event. Before the event, I said hello and he had the same slow responses. I have some concerns about his health and well being.
    1. 2/27/2012 11:41 AM Trurh wrote:
      If you actually practiced in his court you would know that he had just spent 10 hours listening to over two dozen horrific CPS cases which included meeting with a traumatized child at the end of the day. He makes rulings by the law and from his heart and takes his job VERY seriously. So let's not attack him for not being "on his game". His opponent has all day every day to prepare for speeches and walk neighborhoods because she's not WORKING!! Do not punish this man for working so hard for this county he stumbled. This county needs more judges who are not slick speaking politicians but rather walk the walk of a reverent public servant.
      1. 2/27/2012 1:04 PM He Should Resign wrote:
        Sounds like his court admin is responding to this post! If the work load is to much he should step down.
        1. 2/27/2012 6:31 PM Trurh wrote:
          Sorry, wrong assumption. I certainly hope that none of his staff has read this trash talking. I'm sure they are busy working for our county as they do everyday. Keep up the great job 425th! The voters appreciate all you do for the families of Williamson County!
  • 2/27/2012 10:32 AM Terrible wrote:
    I would think with their education and experience they would be better public speakers than they are. Lambeth did better, but I still think they both need work. Pretty sad that a current judge cannot speak publicly any better than that.

Any audio from the CA and DA races?
  • 2/27/2012 12:56 PM Demanding Accountability wrote:
    I've heard rumors that everything Wilco Voter has said is true, and that something has changed with him in the past year or so. Medical? Mental? No one seems to know. Just that he is a bit off his game in recent months. Can any of that be confirmed or denied with court transcripts?
  • 2/27/2012 3:00 PM Stop being Ignorant wrote:
    I personally, would rather a judge take a second and think about his decision before blurting out a response that will affect my life. While this judge is in court, his opponent is passing off her cases to go campaign. If she can't take her current job seriously I don't know how she will handle such a larger workload that being a judge requires. Instead of people voting based on hard facts and evidence they are voting because a cute blonde asked to put a sign in their during poor weather conditions. I can't believe that was even put into words and sent. Ms. Lambeth waltzed into a Sun City garage (not invited I might add and durin the work day of course) and asked for his vote. He asked her why she thought he should give her his vote because all he had heard was about how she will try anything to win, including lying about the incumbent. Betsy then proceeded to plaster a fake smile on her face and turned around to walk out of his garage but not before reaching over to pat him on the head. Patting a grown man on the head is a perfect example of the amount of respect she has for voters, none. Previous commenters who believe no current seated position should be reelected is absurd. Voters need to jump off the bandwagon and make decisions based on their own opinions and candidate research. If any one of you did that you would not being voting for Betsy.
  • 2/27/2012 5:50 PM I Agree with all Sides wrote:
    I agree with much that has been stated by all sides. We should be slow to remove an incumbent. We should respect what they have accomplished. We do want a judge that is quick to listen and slow to speak. However, there are a few spots that he just mispronounces words. When someone struggles to read his own writing, that should point to a problem. It almost sounds as if he has a small stroke.
  • 5/5/2012 9:05 AM Observer wrote:
    I have spoken with Judge Silverstone. He is slow talking and thoughtful. I think he is anxious to avoid promoting himself. I have worked as a friend and counselor in a couple of cases which Judge Silverstone adjudicated and he seemed to do the just and fair thing as allowed by law (this was before I met him and without any legal involvement whatsoever on my part).

What he told me in person is that he values the benefit of the children above anything else in his court. The adults he treats as adults, with the ability to mostly solve their own problems, but he said that he will always value the well-being of the children over any other factor. I feel that he has acted as this kind of judge, that he will continue to act in this way if re-elected, and that even this audio file, so displeasing to many in these comments, actually shows a concern of careful consideration over self-promotion. I seem to be the only on to think so in here, but I have known people just like this, who are so concerned with the effects of their words and getting things just right, that it slows them down to a snail's pace in speech. I have no problem in advocating Judge Silverstone for reelection.